Welcome to the website of 'The Society of Authors, 1884–1914: Professional Association and Literary Property' project, funded by a Leverhulme Trust Research Project Grant.
This database is still in development, and will contain digitised archival and published documents relating to the history of the Society, as well as social network visualisations of its membership.
- View our expanding list of members using the 'Browse Members' tab
- Explore membership of the Society's various committees using the 'Browse Committees' tab
- View and read the Society's publications under 'Browse Publications', and browse a complete run of The Author, 1890–1914
- Use 'Tags' to narrow the list of members and publications, exploring different disciplines and issues such as copyright or pensions
- Search using keywords, and parameters such as date ranges, specific committees and occupations
- Download data in atom, dcmes-xml, json and omeka-xml format
If you have any questions about the project, please contact us.
By the time of the first general meeting on 18 February 1884, the Society of Authors had 14 Vice-Presidents and 68 members. Annual subscription was…